The Conservative deceit that is Brexit
In early October Jean-Claude Juncker, the Luxembourgish Head of the European Commission, compared Britain to a friend who orders a round of drinks at the bar and then leaves without…
Who decides what we read about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
Like most, I receive my daily world news from Facebook, whether it be suggested articles or shared posts from friends. My newsfeed as a result is often filled with Human…
Furry fashion: A heated debate for cold climates
Gucci has banned fur from all future collections, commencing from Spring/Summer 18; its CEO, Marco Bizzarri, declared that was ‘outdated’. It also joined the Fur Free Alliance, that promotes both…
Any believer in free trade will embrace leaving the European Union
No matter which side you supported during the EU referendum, there is one aspect of the upcoming Brexit that should strike optimism into every Brit – leaving the archaic customs…
Supporting Corbyn is a trade-off with a soft Brexit
Corbyn’s appeal is understandable. We live in a country plagued by inequality, and unlike many politicians, he has made it his priority to address it. In the UK, the top…
A Note from the Managing Director
Welcome to The Broad - a tabula rasa for student journalism.
For many of us, myself included, we’re half-starved for well-written opinion among the swathes of online commentary among universities. Trashy, often unedited writing is published minute by minute. It seems where there is wifi, opinion is broadcast. So, here at The Broad we’ve decided to take a step back, a deep breath and focus. We have talent spotted and welcomed writers to the team, who have found a new home in the very collaborative environment created by our editors. Between writer and editor, we are hoping to challenge the current view of what it is to be a student journalist. We’re putting the way we feel about the world into words with a fresh take. Our entirely free online content is by students for students. We want to publish unbridled and beautifully written opinion. I hope the journalism on The Broad has the power to inspire, aggravate and sometimes silence. Essentially, if the girls, the boys, the lefties, the righties and everyone in between find something to shout about we’re doing our job right.
Helena Irvine, Managing Director
- For a secular Britain: time to end religious privilege
- Stoicism is the solution, not cause, of toxic masculinity
- The Butch, The Bitch and The Mummy: the women in Westminster
- Boris Johnson is right to prorogue Parliament: no-deal must be kept on the table
- What can the reception of Jofra Archer tell us about national identity?
- #Time4Change: How do we change inequality of reward? (4,378 reads)
- The magic in(sanity) of children (3,954 reads)
- Stacey Dooley is breathing new life into the traditional media (3,634 reads)
- Laughing at Shamima Begum is inexcusable (3,326 reads)
- Bake Off is representing disability perfectly (3,277 reads)