The media must be held accountable for damaging narratives
Mental Health Awareness is something that our generation has really taken hold of and put to the forefront of the change we want to see in society. We are at…
Windrush: Their impact on multi-cultural Britain
Earlier this year the government announced their plans to hold a ‘National Windrush Day’ to commemorate the impact of the Windrush Generation and their families. These contributions can be seen…
Windrush: immigration centres and morality
Immigration is one of the most divisive issues we face today. The Windrush Scandal has highlighted the major issues with the Home Office’s dealings with immigration and the anti-foreigner sentiment…
A Note from the Managing Director
Welcome to The Broad - a tabula rasa for student journalism.
For many of us, myself included, we’re half-starved for well-written opinion among the swathes of online commentary among universities. Trashy, often unedited writing is published minute by minute. It seems where there is wifi, opinion is broadcast. So, here at The Broad we’ve decided to take a step back, a deep breath and focus. We have talent spotted and welcomed writers to the team, who have found a new home in the very collaborative environment created by our editors. Between writer and editor, we are hoping to challenge the current view of what it is to be a student journalist. We’re putting the way we feel about the world into words with a fresh take. Our entirely free online content is by students for students. We want to publish unbridled and beautifully written opinion. I hope the journalism on The Broad has the power to inspire, aggravate and sometimes silence. Essentially, if the girls, the boys, the lefties, the righties and everyone in between find something to shout about we’re doing our job right.
Helena Irvine, Managing Director
- Boris vs Voltaire: What does it mean to ‘believe in Britain’?
- I voted for Jeremy Hunt, but Boris Johnson is already impressing me
- The Conservatives are hypocrites for complaining about losing votes to Farage
- Drag culture or cultural appropriation?
- The Conservative Leadership Contest is Wasting Precious Time
- Women, the world over, need free sanitary products (4,824 reads)
- The magic in(sanity) of children (3,855 reads)
- Stacey Dooley is breathing new life into the traditional media (3,517 reads)
- #Time4Change: How do we change inequality of reward? (3,513 reads)
- Laughing at Shamima Begum is inexcusable (3,194 reads)