Welcome to The Broad - a tabula rasa for student journalism.
For many of us, myself included, we’re half-starved for well-written opinion among the swathes of online commentary among universities. Trashy, often unedited writing is published minute by minute. It seems where there is wifi, opinion is broadcast. So, here at The Broad we’ve decided to take a step back, a deep breath and focus. We have talent spotted and welcomed writers to the team, who have found a new home in the very collaborative environment created by our editors. Between writer and editor, we are hoping to challenge the current view of what it is to be a student journalist. We’re putting the way we feel about the world into words with a fresh take. Our entirely free online content is by students for students. We want to publish unbridled and beautifully written opinion. I hope the journalism on The Broad has the power to inspire, aggravate and sometimes silence. Essentially, if the girls, the boys, the lefties, the righties and everyone in between find something to shout about we’re doing our job right.
Helena Irvine, Editor-in-chief
- Male Suicide: the killer that dare not speak its name (16,096 reads)
- The commercialisation of feminism (9,798 reads)
- Another one? DJ Khaled won't go down on women (5,693 reads)
- We are all stranded in a no-man's land of expectation (5,444 reads)
- I love to love Love Island (5,412 reads)