Jumping the Gunn: Disney’s firing sets a dangerous precedent
This week, Disney announced the quickfire dismissal of James Gunn, who directed the Guardians of the Galaxy films for their Marvel subsidiary. The decision was prompted by the resurfacing of…
Authorship down: Lars von Trier and the abuse of ‘art’
Auteur-provocateur, filmmaker-troublemaker, artist-misogynist… if you’ve heard of Lars von Trier, you’ve probably got an opinion on the Danish director. Up to now, discourse on von Trier has existed in a…
Polanski’s expulsion is a good PR move, but not good enough
Rejoice! The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences – the Academy, to you and me – proudly proclaimed this week that they were expelling TV entertainer Bill Crosby and…
Netflix vs Cannes: The art of cinema, or defunct elitism?
Cannes: the crown of the French Riviera, upholder of the selfie ban, and guardian of cinema. Unsurprisingly, this prestigious film festival is also a particularly conservative institution – as evidenced…
There remain a few respectable figures of authority in Hollywood
In little over a month since the Harvey Weinstein revelations surfaced, we have seen a scourge of further allegations – particularly in Hollywood, but also in various other professions around…
A Note from the Managing Director
Welcome to The Broad - a tabula rasa for student journalism.
For many of us, myself included, we’re half-starved for well-written opinion among the swathes of online commentary among universities. Trashy, often unedited writing is published minute by minute. It seems where there is wifi, opinion is broadcast. So, here at The Broad we’ve decided to take a step back, a deep breath and focus. We have talent spotted and welcomed writers to the team, who have found a new home in the very collaborative environment created by our editors. Between writer and editor, we are hoping to challenge the current view of what it is to be a student journalist. We’re putting the way we feel about the world into words with a fresh take. Our entirely free online content is by students for students. We want to publish unbridled and beautifully written opinion. I hope the journalism on The Broad has the power to inspire, aggravate and sometimes silence. Essentially, if the girls, the boys, the lefties, the righties and everyone in between find something to shout about we’re doing our job right.
Helena Irvine, Managing Director
- I voted for Jeremy Hunt, but Boris Johnson is already impressing me
- Boris vs Voltaire: What does it mean to ‘believe in Britain’?
- Drag culture or cultural appropriation?
- The Conservatives are hypocrites for complaining about losing votes to Farage
- The long overdue Veterans’ Office will transform lives
- Women, the world over, need free sanitary products (4,842 reads)
- The magic in(sanity) of children (3,873 reads)
- #Time4Change: How do we change inequality of reward? (3,684 reads)
- Stacey Dooley is breathing new life into the traditional media (3,556 reads)
- Laughing at Shamima Begum is inexcusable (3,212 reads)